Data Assimilation Research Team
Weather prediction is a great achievement of human intelligence by integrating advanced sensing, supercomputing, and information and communications technologies. Here, data assimilation plays a pivotal role. Connecting the most advanced radar sensing technology and supercomputers "K" and "Fugaku", data assimilation made it possible to predict sudden downpours. Data assimilation brings links to the future and expands synergistic opportunities.
May 10, 2023 at R-CCS
Job Opportunity / Programs
- Job Opp Seeking a few Senior Scientists / Research Scientists / Postdoctoral Researchers (RIKEN Kobe)
- Program Programs for Junior Scientists
Every Month: DA Seminar Series
- [Event Announcement]posted on 2023-11-16Dr. Shigenori Otsuka: The 96th Data Assimilation seminar (Nov. 20th)
- [Topic]posted on 2023-10-16An interview with Dr. Takemasa Miyoshi was posted on IEEE Spectrum.
- [Event Announcement]posted on 2023-09-25Prof. Meghan Cronin: The 95th Data Assimilation seminar (Oct. 6th)
- [Topic]posted on 2023-09-22"Big Data Assimilation: Real-time 30-second-refresh Heavy Rain Forecast Using Fugaku During Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics" is a finalist for the 2023 Gordon Bell Prize in Climate Modelling
- [Topic]posted on 2023-08-30RIKEN Research Highlight - Deep learning allows storm surges produced by typhoons to be quickly and accurately forecasted
- [Event Announcement]posted on 2023-07-20SATREPS International Joint Symposium "Predict torrential rains and floods, protect people from disasters!" (Sep. 4)
- [Event Announcement]posted on 2023-06-2614th Data Assimilation workshop (29th–30th Aug. 2023)
- [Event Announcement]posted on 2023-06-26IMT-Atlantique & Kyoto University & RIKEN joint Data Assimilation workshop (29th Aug. 2023)
- [Topic]posted on 2023-06-19[Press Release] RIKEN Scientists show way to mitigate extreme weather events