Achievements in 2014
- Chang, C.-C., S.-C. Yang, and C. Keppenne, 2014: Applications of the mean re-recentering scheme to improve typhoon track prediction: A case study of typhoon Nanmadol (2011). JMSJ Ser.II, 92 No. 6, 559-584. doi:10.2151/jmsj.2014-604
- Terasaki, K., and T. Miyoshi, 2014: Data Assimilation with Error-Correlated and Non-Orthogonal Observations: Experiments with the Lorenz-96 Model. SOLA, 10, 210-213. doi:10.2151/sola.2014-044
- Kotsuki, S., K. Terasaki, and T. Miyoshi, 2014: GPM/DPR Precipitation Compared with a 3.5-km-resolution NICAM Simulation. SOLA, 10, 204-209. doi:10.2151/sola.2014-043
- Yang, S.-C., S.-Y. Chen, S.-H. Chen, C.-Y. Huang and C.-S. Chen, 2013: Evaluating the impact of the COSMIC-RO bending angle data on predicting the heavy precipitation episode on 16 June 2008 during SoWMEX-IOP8. Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 4139-4163. doi:10.1175/MWR-D-13-00275.1
- Satoh, M., H. Tomita, H. Yashiro, H. Miura, C. Kodama, T. Seiki, A. Noda, Y. Yamada, D. Goto, M. Sawada, T. Miyoshi, Y. Niwa, M. Hara, T. Ohno, S. Iga, T. Arakawa, T. Inoue, H. Kubokawa, 2014: The non-hydrostatic icosahedral atmospheric model: description and development. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 1, 18. doi:10.1186/s40645-014-0018-1
- Otsuka, S., M. Takeshita, and S. Yoden, 2014: A numerical experiment on the formation of the tropopause inversion layer associated with an explosive cyclogenesis: Possible role of gravity waves. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 1, 19. doi:10.1186/s40645-014-0019-0
- Miyoshi, T., K. Kondo, and T. Imamura, 2014: The 10240-member ensemble Kalman filtering with an intermediate AGCM. Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 5264-5271. doi:10.1002/2014GL060863
- Yoshimura, K., T. Miyoshi, and M. Kanamitsu, 2014: Observation System Simulation Experiments Using Water Vapor Isotope Information. J. Geophys. Res., 119. doi:10.1002/2014JD021662
- Matsuoka, S., H. Sato, O. Tatebe, F. Takatsu, M. A. Jabri, M. Koibuchi, I. Fujiwara, S. Suzuki, M. Kakuta, T. Ishida, Y. Akiyama, T. Suzumura, K. Ueno, H. Kanezashi, and T. Miyoshi, 2014: Extreme Big Data (EBD): Next Generation Big Data Infrastructure Technologies Towards Yottabyte/Year. Supercomputing Frontiers and Innovations, 1, No.2, 89-107. doi:10.14529/jsfi140206
- Yoden, S., K. Ishioka, D. Durran, T. Enomoto, Y. Hayashi, T. Miyoshi, and M. Yamada, 2014: Theoretical Aspects of Variability and Predictability in Weather and Climate Systems. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 95, 1101-1104. doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00009.1
- Cecelski, S. F., D.-L. Zhang, and T. Miyoshi, 2014: Genesis of Hurricane Julia, 2010: within an African Easterly Wave: Developing and Non-Developing Members from WRF-LETKF Ensemble Forecasts. J. Atmos. Sci., 71, 2763-2781. doi:10.1175/JAS-D-13-0187.1
- Huang, Z-K, Z. Peng, H-N Liu, M-G Zhang, X-G Ma, S-C Yang, S-D Lee, and S-Y Kim, 2014: Development of CMAQ for East Asia CO2 data assimilation under an EnKF framework: a first result. Chinese Science Bulletin, 59.25, 3200-3208. doi:10.1007/s11434-014-0348-9
- Tsai, C.-C., S.-C. Yang, and Y.-C. Liou, 2014: Improving Short-Term QPFs with a WRF-LETKF Radar Data assimilation system: OSSEs on Typhoon Morakot (2009). Tellus A, 66, 21804. doi:10.3402/tellusa.v66.21804
- Watanabe, S., Y. Hirabayashi, S. Kotsuki, N. Hanasaki, K. Tanaka, C.M.R. Mateo, M. Kiguchi, E. Ikoma, S. Kanae, T. Oki, 2014: Application of performance metrics to climate models for projecting future river discharge in the Chao Phraya River basin. Hydrological Research Letters, 8, 33-38. doi:10.3178/hrl.8.33
- Kotsuki, S., K. Tanaka, and S. Watanabe, 2014: Projected hydrological changes and their consistency under future climate in the Chao Phraya River Basin using multi-model and multi-scenario of CMIP5 dataset. Hydrological Research Letters, 8, 27-32. doi:10.3178/hrl.8.27
- Miyoshi, T.: Big Data Assimilation Revolutionizing Weather Prediction. 13th Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Advisory Committee Meeting (13th JST Advisory Committee Meeting), Kyoto, Japan, 3rd October 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: Big Data Assimilation"revolutionizing severe weather forecasting. Workshop on perspectives in computational climate science and 7th OFES International Workshop, Aizu-wakamatsu, Japan, 2nd October 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: Big Data Assimilation"revolutionizing severe weather forecasting. Joint Workshop of 6th International Workshop on Global Cloud Resolving Modeling and 3rd International Workshop on Nonhydrostatic Numerical Models, Kobe, Japan, 25th September, 2014.
- Miyoshi, T., M. Kunii, J. Ruiz, H. Seko, S. Satoh, T. Ushio, Y. Ishikawa, H. Tomita, K. Bessho: Recent activities on "Big Data Assimilation" in Japan. WWOSC 2014, Session SCI-PS137, Montreal, Canada, 18th August 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: "Big Data Assimilation" for Revolutionizing Weather Prediction. The 53rd IDC HPC User Forum, Kobe, Japan, 16th July 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: Numerical Weather Prediction and 'Big Data Assimilation', International HPC Summer School 2014, Budapest, Hungary, 3rd June 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: Recent activities on 'Big Data Assimilation' in Japan. The 6th EnKF Workshop, Buffalo, NY, USA, 21st May 2014.
- Terasaki, K. and T. Miyoshi: Data assimilations with correlated observation errors and non-orthogonal observation operator. ESA-DA workshop on correlated errors in data assimilation, University of Reading, Reading, UK, 24th April 2014.
- S. Shima: Preliminary numerical study on the cumulus-stratus transition induced by the increase of formation rate of aerosols. Workshop on Space Climate, Solar Terrestrial Environment Laboratory, Nagoya University, Japan, 3rd April 2014.
- Miyoshi, T.: Ensemble Kalman Filter in Meteorology and "Big Data Assimilation. Mathematical Science on Big Data Assimilation in Meteorology, Kyoto, Japan, 19th Mar 2014.
Honors and Awards
- Miyoshi, T.: The Young Scientists' Prize, The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, 15th April 2014.
- Yoshimura, K., T. Miyoshi, M. Kanamitsu: Hydraulic Engineering Paper Award, Committee on Hydroscience and Hydraulic Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, 4th March 2014.