Achievements in 2018
- Hatfield, S. E., Düben, P. D., Chantry, M., Kondo, K., Miyoshi, T., & Palmer, T. N., 2018: Choosing the optimal numerical precision for data assimilation in the presence of model error. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 10, 2177- 2191. doi:10.1029/2018MS001341
- Komori, N., T. Enomoto, T. Miyoshi, A. Yamazaki, A. Kuwano-Yoshida and B. Taguchi, 2018: Ensemble-based Atmospheric Reanalysis using a Global Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean GCM. Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 3311-3323. doi:10.1175/MWR-D-17-0361.1
- Ryo Furue, Kohei Takatama, Hideharu Sasaki, Niklas Schneider, Masami Nonaka, Bunmei Taguchi, 2018: Impacts of sea-surface salinity in an eddy-resolving semi-global OGCM. Ocean Modelling, Volume 122, Pages 36-56,. doi:10.1016/j.ocemod.2017.11.004
- Michiko OTSUKA, Hiromu SEKO, Kazuki SHIMOJI, Koji YAMASHITA, 2018: Characteristics of Himawari-8 Rapid Scan Atmospheric Motion Vectors Utilized in Mesoscale Data Assimilation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan. Ser. II, 96B, 111-131. doi:10.2151/jmsj.2018-034
- Kotsuki, S., Terasaki, K., Yashiro, H., Tomita, H., Satoh, M., & Miyoshi, T., 2018: Online model parameter estimation with ensemble data assimilation in the real global atmosphere: A case with the Nonhydrostatic Icosahedral Atmospheric Model (NICAM) and the Global Satellite Mapping of Precipitation data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 7375-7392. doi:10.1029/2017JD028092
- Lien, G.-Y., D. Hotta, E. Kalnay, T. Miyoshi, and T.-C. Chen, 2018: Accelerating assimilation development for new observing systems using EFSO. Nonlin. Processes Geophys., 25, 129-143. doi:10.5194/npg-25-129-2018
- Sawada, Y., T. Nakaegawa, T. Miyoshi, 2018: Hydrometeorology as an inversion problem: Can river discharge observations improve the atmosphere by ensemble data assimilation? Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 848-860. doi:10.1002/2017JD027531
- Honda, T., S. Kotsuki, G.-Y. Lien, Y. Maejima, K. Okamoto, T. Miyoshi, 2018: Assimilation of Himawari-8 all-sky radiances every 10 minutes: Impact on precipitation and flood risk prediction. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 965-976. doi:10.1002/2017JD027096
- Honda, T., T. Miyoshi, G.-Y. Lien, S. Nishizawa, R. Yoshida, S. A. Adachi, K. Terasaki, K. Okamoto, H. Tomita and K. Bessho, 2018: Assimilating All-Sky Himawari-8 Satellite Infrared Radiances: A Case of Typhoon Soudelor (2015). Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 213-229. doi:10.1175/MWR-D-16-0357.1
- T. Miyoshi: Big Data, Supercomputing, and Data Assimilation: Weather Prediction and Beyond "RIKEN BAIHO Awards", The All-RIKEN Workshop 2018, Wako, Japan, 14th December 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Prediction Science: The 5th Paradigm Fusing the Computational Science and Data Science, BDEC2, Indiana, USA., 29th November 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Big Data Assimilation: achievements and future directions, Meteorological Society of Japan 2018 Fall Meeting, Ogura Special Lecture Joint Session, Sendai, Japan, 29th October 2018.
- Hironori Arai, Wataru Takeuchi, Kei Oyoshi, Lam Dao Nguyen, Towa Tachibana, Ryuta Uozumi, Koji Terasaki, Takemasa Miyoshi, Hisashi Yashiro, Kazuyuki Inubushi: Monitoring GHG emission from rice cropping and the dissemination status of mitigation activities. 11th GEOPSS Asia Pacific Sympodium, Group on Earth Observations, Kyoto, Japan, October 25, 2018.
- Hironori Arai, Wataru Takeuchi, Kei Oyoshi, Lam Dao Nguyen, Towa Tachibana, Ryuta Uozumi, Koji Terasaki, Takemasa Miyoshi, Hisashi Yashiro, Kazuyuki Inubushi: Satellite data based transparent MRV system of GHGs emission from Asian agricultural ecosystems. 11th GEOPSS Asia Pacific Sympodium, Group on Earth Observations, Kyoto, Japan, October 24, 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Pushing the limits: Big Data Assimilation research at RIKEN, Open session with JMA: Sharing plans for international research, JMA HQ Auditorium, Tokyo, Japan, 12th October 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Data assimilation for nonlinear ensemble forecasts, Fourth meeting of the WWRP PDEF Working Group, Tokyo, Japan, 11th October 2018.
- Sawada, Y., T. Nakaegawa, T. Miyoshi, and T. Ushiyama: Hydrometeorology as an inversion problem: Can river discharge observations improve the atmosphere by ensemble data assimilation?, 9th Japanese Data Assimilation Workshop, Tokyo, Japan, 10th October 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Satellite data assimilation and parameter estimation with NICAM-LETKF, CEN/CliSAP WORKSHOP "Climate Data Assimilation", Hamburg, Germany, 5th October 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Innovating "Big Data Assimilation" technology for revolutionizing very-short-range severe weather prediction, CREST Symposium on Big Data Application, Tokyo, Japan, 30th September 2018.
- Hironori Arai, Wataru Takeuchi, Kei Oyoshi, Lam Dao Nguyen, Towa Tachibana, Ryuta Uozumi, Koji Terasaki, Takemasa Miyoshi, Hisashi Yashiro, Kazuyuki Inubushi: GHG observation of rice field, Joint JECAM/Asia-RiCE Meeting, Taichung City, Taiwan, 17th September 2018.
- Guo-Yuan Lien, Takemasa Miyoshi, Takumi Honda, Shigenori Otsuka: Rapid-update-cycle high-resolution assimilation of radar data: Results from exploratory experiments and potential for operational prediction, 2018 Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting, Taipei, Taiwan, 11th September 2018.
- T. Miyoshi: Advancing Data Assimilation as a Science Hub: From Weather Forecasting and Beyond, MADA2018, Le Bourget-du Lac, France, 20th August 2018.
- Takemasa MIYOSHI, Shunji KOTSUKI, Koji TERASAKI, Keiichi KONDO, Guo-Yuan LIEN, Kenta KUROSAWA, Masaki SATOH, Hirofumi TOMITA, and Eugenia KALNAY: Enhancing Data Assimilation of GPM Observations, AOGS, Honolulu, Hawaii, 4th June 2018.
- Guo-Yuan Lien, Seiya Nishizawa, Ryuji Yoshida, Hisashi Yashiro, Tatiana Martsinkevich, Takumi Honda, Shigenori Otsuka, Takemasa Miyoshi, Hirofumi Tomita, and Yutaka Ishikawa: The computational aspect of the SCLAE-LETKF data assimilation system for rapid-update-cycle, high-resolution radar data assimilation, JpGU2018, Chiba, Japan, 20th May 2018.
- Guo-Yuan Lien, Takemasa Miyoshi: Issues regarding maintaining ensemble spreads, balance, and high-resolution information in rapid-update-cycle radar data assimilation with the LETKF, JpGU2018, Chiba, Japan, 20th May 2018.
- Okazaki, A., Miyoshi, T., Yoshimura, K., Zhang, F.: Toward online data assimilation for the millennium reanalysis, JpGU 2018, Chiba, Japan, 22nd May 2018.
- Terasaki, K., T. Miyoshi: Accounting for the observation error correlation in data assimilation, JpGU2018, Chiba, Japan, 20th May 2018.
- Miyoshi, T.: Advancing Data Assimilation as a Science Hub. ADAPT seminar, The Pennsylvania State University ADAPT Center, University Park, PA, USA, 20th March 2018.
- Miyoshi, T.: Data Assimilation Research at RIKEN. ESSIC Seminar, University of Maryland, MD, USA, 16th March 2018.
- Miyoshi, T.: Advancing Data Assimilation as a Science Hub. Departmental Seminar, AOSC, University of Maryland, USA, 15th March 2018.
- Miyoshi, T., H. Tomita, S. Satoh, T. Ushio, and Y. Ishikawa: Project Progress Report CREST International Symposium on Big Data Application, Akihabara, 17th January 2018.
Honors and Awards
- Miyoshi, T.: Excellent Achievement Award, HPCI (High Performance Computing Infrastructure) Project Report Meeting Program Committee. November 2 ,2018.
- Honda, T.: Yamamoto-Syono Award, Meteorological society of Japan. October 30, 2018.
- Miyoshi, T.: Gold Medal Prize, Yomiuri Techno Forum. April 25, 2018.
- Honda, T: 9th RIKEN Research Incentive Award, "Improvement of Typhoon and heavy rainfall predictions by assimilating radiance observations from a new generation satellite "Himawari-8"". March 15, 2018.
- Miyoshi, T: RIKEN BAIHO Award, Research to Fuse Data Analysis with Simulations. June 5, 2018.